Tags : :
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup grits (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated white Cheddar
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 1/4 cups water and the salt to a boil.
- Whisking constantly, slowly add the grits in a steady stream. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the grits are thick, creamy, and pulling away from the side of the pan, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the Cheddar and stir until it melts. Add the scallions, pepper, and butter and stir.