Tags : :
- 3/4 cup white or button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small yellow or white onion, minced
- 1/4 cup butter (or vegan margarine)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning (or 1/2 tsp each of sage, thyme and marjoram)
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:In a large skillet, melt the butter(or margarine) and add onion and mushrooms. Sautee for just a minute or two over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add broth and soy sauce. Slowly add flour, stirring well to combine and prevent lumps from forming. Bring to a simmer or a low boil, then reduce heat.
Add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, stirring consistently. Allow to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until gravy thickens.
Serve over Thanksgiving stuffing, potatoes, seitan, or in recipes like vegetarian shepherd's pie!